Friday 6 January 2017

1900's speeding ticket*

Temperatures today hit -17* with windchill brrrrr. Beautiful sunshine though, lots of lovely shadows and some fabulous ice patterns on the windows.

Waffles for breakfast which were especially lovely today. Everyone helped to get things sorted and cleared away. The rest of the morning the boys played on the XBox, I stripped their beds and put fresh stuff on and with Moo's help, sewed Small's Quilt cover. Grandma had bought him a lovely cosy bed set last year but our silly Tumble Dryer shrunk it. We got a replacement (dryer and quilt) but a huge one that needed sewing. So we cut it and sewed it and now he has lovely flannelette (is that still a word, it sounds so old fashioned?) sheets, quilt and pillow cases. Lucky boy, it's going to a cold one overnight. Moo and I finished the morning with a Skip-Bo before calling everyone up for lunch.

After lunch we all donned our snow gear and headed out to our local resort for an afternoon of ski-ing and snowboarding. Everyone but me got lift passes but I just wanted to stay on the nursery slopes. I haven't boarded for two years and I always fall and hurt myself so my confidence was very low. Moo's confidence was low too but once I forced her boots on she was off and away and up on the lifts before you could say "oi I thought you were taking it easy.......!".

We started on the little nursery slope and I fell and bashed my knee (lovely lump and bruise on it now!) and soon realised it wasn't wide enough for me as I like to zig zag across. We moved to the other nursery slope after the nice man on the previous one helped me get my confidence a bit. Everyone but me had one go on the little slope and all went off up the lift. I had no-one to blame for being on my own but me as I just couldn't pluck up the courage to go on the lift. However, I did walk up one hill (phew) and board down with others but not before I landed in a bush! What am I like? The man at the top lift tried to explain how I needed to get off if I wanted to go on. He was very nice and helpful, though he didn't see me land in the bush!

Everyone else did exceptionally well. Like they'd never been away. Clever family. Smallest has got much better but is still struggling to turn (I think maybe a couple of lessons will sort that out). Small is looking very confident and went up one of the bigger lifts with Huffle and Moo while Smallest and I sneaked in a hot drink and a quick rest inside. We had a good window seat view of them on the lifts and coming down.

The picture at the bottom of me praying is in fact me turning over to get up and on my feet. Naughty Huffle took it from the lift but he said he didn't know because the sun was too bright!!!!! Can't believe looking at this that I got a BAGA4.

Smallest and Moo went on the smaller lift a few more times, Huffle and Small went on the bigger one before joining Moo, and I had a last couple of go's on the nursery slope. I have no trouble boarding down (well apart from zig zagging) just getting up the bigger slopes!

As it was starting to get dark and the smaller lift closed, we decided to call it a day and went off for fish and chips.

Tired family!

*As Moo lives in Hinckley, Leicestershire, I joined the Hinckley Past and Present Facebook Group. Today I found this story.

 

 

No comments: