Tuesday 17 January 2017

Frozen talking stew

Small woke me early this morning. The bus was cancelled due to the threatening freezing rain which was due at 8am with a 100% chance. I made lunches for all three of us and Small decided he wanted to walk this morning in order to get to his basketball practice. I was kind of happy not to have to drive him in my PJ's but also a bit worried that he would get there. I know he's 13 but I still worry about him, despite him being very sensible.

At 8:45 I decided to drive Smallest and MissMoll to school. The freezing rain did indeed arrive at 8am as forecast and although we have had it before, it truly is THE most weird thing to happen to the weather. The rain falls like normal rain, but everything it touches turns to ice. Everything in fact is encased in ice. The drive was a pure skating rink and even though I had my snow boots on, I had to slide in order to get to the car without falling over. The car was covered in ice and the windscreen iced over every time my wipers moved. I had to get the ice scraper out between here and MissMoll's house which is three houses away. Crazy! I managed to get the kids to school safely and watched them help each other in. I then parked the car and went into school to check on the Dodgeball situation that I was due to drive to later. It was cancelled. I spoke to Small's teacher about the conflict between ski club and basketball and we agreed Small could miss a few games and not be off the team. However, later, the basketball had to be moved to accommodate the Dodgeball and then the Dodgeball was moved to accommodate the Ski Club. Arrrrrrggh I can't keep up!!!!




I also made a decision not to go to work in the Greenhouse today as the roads were incredibly slippy and scary to drive on. I came home, called in to say I wouldn't be there and agreed to go in next Tuesday instead.

For Christmas (before I got ill) I was going to make treats for the ladies at exercise but I ran out of time. So today I made them Lemon Curd. I got six small jars made which was perfect and decided to take one of them to MrsRoyal as I never got a chance to make her anything either. The walk there was treacherous and the road was even worse than when I drove earlier. I was just in time for coffee and stayed until lunchtime chatting with TheRoyals. I had to borrow MrsRoyals YakTraks (ingenious things that go over the bottom of your boots to stop you sliding on ice) to get home and later on used my own to take her boots back and get my own back, plus deliver the newspaper that gets thrown onto their drive.

Huffle and I had lunch and watched another First Dates Hotel and then I cleared up the kitchen and made dumplings for the stew and blended the soup I made for Small and I which had Carrot, Butternut, Potato, Lentils and cumin. A kind of veggie stew soup.

I picked up the boys and MissMoll from school. Piano practice, collecting of bonuses on IPads, chore and XBox.

Smallest and Huffle went off to Football practice and Small and I stayed at home.

Tired!!!!

 

No comments: