Wednesday 1 March 2017

Powerless Apprenticii

Another restless night. Too warm, noises, the usual. So very tired today.

The boys went to school, Small with his snowboarding gear though we had a lot of rain through the night and more forecast for the rest of the day. Not the best conditions but he had a lesson so he had to try. As it was, the conditions were so bad, rainy and icy, that the instructors wouldn't instruct and the resort closed down early. Small spent most of the time inside. I wish I had known, I would have gone and got him.

This morning I left Huffle eating breakfast and working and went to my exercise class. My upper body was aching but my legs weren't too bad. Of course it was all about legs today so tomorrow my whole body will ache no doubt. It was a good session though.

When I came home I crocheted, tidied, did some washing, had a shower and then had an early lunch as I had an appointment to get the boys their vaccines. As it happened, Smallest didn't have to have his because he had already had it (despite me going to see the nurse previously to be told he definitely did need it!). Small had to have his and he had his tetanus update too which is good because I am always asked if he is up to date and I never know! Immunisations are a bit different here in that if you are not completely up to date, the school can exclude the kids until they have notice they have had them. Scary! Of course, our records are all in paper form from the UK (glad we had full copies of all medical notes before we left) and don't always look the same so it's not always easy to see what they have had. Plus they are called different names too. Anyway, all up to date for now and they came away with a lolly each that they snaffled on the way out.

I took them back to school and took the Tuba home for Small later. It rained some more and wasn't very nice for walking in so I made some pastry and quiches for dinner instead. I did dance around the kitchen to my music and managed to get my steps in for the day, though had I known what was coming later, I might have slept instead!

Smallest came home and had his poetry homework to do. He typed them all out of the computer and added pictures but we ran out of ink so we put them on a memory stick to take back to school. He has worked hard. They are for a Poetry Cafe his class are having next week where I have to send him in with a mug and a hot chocolate mix.

This evening Smallest went off for another try out with a different football team. This time all the information regarding fees and practice and games times were all nicely laid out including a breakdown of the fees and what it was for. There are three try outs for the same team over the next few days and we are intending to take him to all three. Huffle went with him and was impressed with the set up so far. Smallest liked it too. It is only an 18minute drive away which is good.

I stayed at home because I needed to collect Small after his ski club so I just crocheted and cleared away dinner stuff. When Small got home he practised his Tuba and played the Simpsons, Incredibles and The Rocky Theme. He has definitely improved. They are practicing for the Spring Concert and the Bandstravaganza which we've just found out is on the day that Grandma and Grandad leave so not only will they miss it, but Huffle will too. BOOOOO! At least they've all seen it before.

At 9:30pm while Smallest was in the shower, we had a power cut. He thought that Small had come in the bathroom and was being silly. He was scared! I was in the kitchen with Huffle. I HATE the dark and followed Huffle around while he got candles. Thank goodness for IPad and phone light. Plus the kids have solar lamps in their rooms which we used. The boys went to bed and Huffle and I had a cup of tea because I had the foresight to boil the kettle before it all went off. Phew. At least we had our tea!

However, because the electric wasn't on, the sump pump wasn't working and the water level in the basement was getting higher and higher. Three buckets, two jugs, two towels and a yoga mat all helped, plus the stamina and strength of Huffle and I filling jug after jug into bucket after bucket down the sink. This filled the septic tank until that was dangerously high and then we resorted to throwing the buckets onto the garden as far as we could get. The electric company sent out engineers but there were no updates for hours so we were left stranded in the crappy basement with sore backs and blistered hands. It finally came back on at 12:35am. We sat and listened to the pump for a while until we were sure it wa staying on and then we went to bed. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

No comments: