Monday 13 March 2017

The day the wood chips arrived

March Break. A week long break from school and I have cancelled all my activities, though I am sneaking off to the Greenhouse tomorrow for a bit of sanity.

It was very cold today and I was woken by a chain saw. Once I came downstairs and saw my messages from MrsRoyal in Portugal I knew what thshe noise was. Her message said that the tree people had emailed her and their huge tree was coming down today. Could I photograph it and make sure you ask for the wood chips was her request. Well I went along and took a photo or two and asked if we could have the chips which were delivered sometime after midday. The tree was down (took about 4-5 hours in all and they still have to come back to retrieve their rope and stuff. I'm not sure what she is going to think about her squashed garden! I guess I will be helping to put that right in the Spring.

The boys played on their tablets after doing a little chore each. I did some washing and then Small decided he would bake something else from his new Mary Berry book. Today he made Vienna Fingers. He did it all by himself and except for the piping part. I have several piping implements but none of them really went well together. We used a too small nozzle in a poor piper with a too firm dough which resulted in small thin biscuits which we then cooked for too long. The result - crumbly slightly overdone thin Biscuits which were melt in the mouth but fell apart when we tried to dip the ends in chocolate. Very tasty. 8/10. Each time he makes something he writes in the book some comments to help him next time. When we finished we FaceTimed Grandma to show the results. Grandma then took us for a tour of their garden and a brief Hello with nextdoorBen. Grandad came to talk to us and left his carrot seeds.

In between baking I rushed out to take more photos of the tree and take delivery of the HUGE amount of wood chips. I stood outside watching and all the boys stood inside. Huffle was shocked at how many we had but I know we will use them. It doesn't really matter if it takes us until Autumn to get them used. We are having a new path at the side, plus the existing paths need topping up and we have new vegetable beds that need paths too. I am guessing, with all the snow that is supposed to be arriving this evening and tomorrow (10-20cm) our pile of chips will be covered for a while. Glad I moved the cars.

We all had lunch together (Huffle included) and then Small and I played Draughts (he easily beat me) and the boys and I played Carcassonne (I won). Another chore each and some more tablet before I persuaded them to go for a short walk. Today it was a short walk as it was bitterly cold. We walked along the train tack but not as far as the main road and then back again, balancing on the track and knocking down icicles.

A bit more tablet while I made dinner and then a game of Q-Bitz and Pictureka (Small won both) before bed.

 

No comments: