Thursday 5 October 2017

Edgy Eric and his edging material which happened to fall over the fence

Every morning after I have made the kids lunches, I make a start on emptying and filling the dishwasher, and cleaning the kitchen worksurface. I like to start the day with a clean sheet. Last night Grandad pre-washed all crockery ready for filling the next day. Each piece of crockery had a small layer of water on it and each piece soaked me through when I picked it up. GRANDAD!!!!!!! Most of the time, our fridge is a complete mess. It starts off clean and tidy and organised on shopping days and by the end of the week it is complete chaos with things walking out by themselves due to going off etc. Today I could stand it no longer and hauled everything out, threw stuff away and organised it. I warned Grandad to keep it tidy or else! He has been very careful to put things back very nicely. Ha ha. Later when I went looking for him, I found him in 'his section' organising bits of wood and 'stuff'. And he was laughing at me!

Grandad in his new top

The boys went to school. Smallest did the Terry Fox Run and then went to his football tournament (Grandad and Huffle went along to watch and critique) and played two games. Poor little man was exhausted. And he got stung by a wasp. His new teacher (French and Gym) called me today to introduce herself and tell me lots of positive things about Smallest. She said he was helpful, always puts his hand up (in fact if he didn't put his hand up then she knew she hadn't explained things well), a good role model for the younger kids. She enjoyed being his teacher and said lots of lovely things about him and asked me if I would give him some ice cream as a reward. I told her he liked her and was very happy so far. So proud of him. And we did give him ice cream.

Small had band practice today and Grandma and I went and picked him up after school and practice. We had a quick stop at the pharmacy for my prescription and then came home and made dinner while we waited for the footballers to come home. Small did his homework after stealing several of the profiteroles.

Grandad and I spent all day making a path. We cleared the plants and put them in a holding veggie bed for now until we decide where they will eventually go. We cleared the space of weeds and Grandad made an edging from the logs that appeared in our garden mysteriously!?! It was a very technical job made more technical by Grandads inability to be able to put two logs side by side without them 'fitting perfectly'. We did make a lovely job of it though and filled it with wood chips. A few special plants were moved beside the path for optimal viewing. We did stop for a cup of tea and then lunch and then carried on again. My two new plants were put into place and more wood chips added. The windmill had to be repositioned which meant Huffle and Grandma standing in the kitchen shouting out where it had to be to get the best possible vantage point. Both next door and DonNoQuotey like to watch it too. All tools were put away and we even filled a weed bag (which is unheard of in this house).

Callicarpa
New hydrangea

Grandma had a morning of sewing at the kitchen table. She mended our 17 year old Wedding present blanket where the stitching had come loose around the edges and she sewed all the way round to completely secure it. She says the blanket will wear out before the edging does. She also fixed a leaky cushion and sewed Smallest's new Beano curtains properly. I decided to wash ALL the bedding today but forgot and Grandma had to dry it all. Sorry Grandma. All beds were made later this evening.

After dinner we finished our game of Five Crowns. Small won. He is the King, the winner, the leader.

 

No comments: